Chieftain Part 6: I give in to temptation.

My current WIP (/work in progress) is the Tamiya 1/35 Mk V Chieftain with CastOff Mk VIII resin upgrade. Yesterday, I discovered the same company does the camo nets for it. They should be here for the weekend.

I am so naughty.

I can resist anything except temptation. Apparently.

I can resist anything except temptation. Apparently.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4
Part 5

Advertisements

Chieftain Part 5: First camo colours on.

It’s been a busy weekend, but I got some hours in at the workbench. All the major (and much of the minor) assembly work is now complete. The first coats of the camo colours are also on. I’ve taken some artistic license here because:

  1. There is great variation in the many Mk.VIII photographs I can Google
  2. I had to mix the paints anyway – an imprecise art – at least when I’m doing it.
  3. It’s my model.  :-p

The darker green is a mix of Tamiya Flat Black, Flat Green and Semi Gloss Clear – the Flat Black is so flat I find it hard to work with. This is why it’s slightly shiny. Loads of washing, weathering, beating up and ageing to start next weekend. That will bring it all together.

 Clickety-click for hi-res versions.

Most assembly done + base green goat.

Most assembly done + base green goat.

Above.

Above.

Right side.

Right side.

Front.

Front.

Part 1
Part 2
Part 3
Part 4

Chieftain Part 4. All the Bl***y Wheels!

Busy weekend at the workbench. I remembered what I hate about armour – all the ruddy wheels! *sigh* Still, they’re on the hull now, after many BadWords. The first coat of green (Revell Aqua Color 46 – NATO Olive) as a base to work from, so the model is looking a bit ‘flat’ right now. Next weekend, I begin the weathering, ageing, roughening up etc. This is the process that will bring it to life.

A little 'flat'.

Click for hi-res goodness.

Part 1 Part 2 Part 3

Chieftain Part 3: Resin all in Place.

I have run out of workbench time for this weekend, sadly. But I did get heaps done. Most of the non-resin parts are now on the kit. What’s left are things, like the commander’s MG, that are too fragile to be attached yet.

All the resin parts are on now: barrel, stowage baskets, gun travel lock, exhausts, rear storage, various hatches, commander’s cupola, Clansman radio box and two antenna bases, smoke dischargers, NBC box on rear of turret, engine grill.

This is the first time I have used resin and I am amazed by the difference it makes. That barrel, for example, is incredible! I shall be using resin again in the future.

All the resin!

All the resin! Click for larger image.

Part 1
Part 2